Limited Company Series – Directors Duties
We feel that it is important to point out the directors responsibilities and duties, briefly summarised as follows:
- To try to make the company a success, using your skills, experience and judgement.
- To follow the rules as stated in the articles of association.
- To make decisions which benefit the company and not yourself.
- To inform shareholders if you personally benefit from a transaction.
- To maintain company records for at least 6 years from the end of the companies last tax return. There is a £3000 penalty and director disqualification for non- compliance.
- To report changes to Companies House & HMRC.
- To register for self assessment and submit a tax return annually.
- To ensure accounts show a true and fair view of the company.
If HMRC consider that you are in breach of these duties, you may be personally liable and fined, prosecuted or even disqualified as a company director. We can help you to ensure that you comply with the deadlines and advise Companies house of any changes on your behalf.